What Is Auctioneer School?
Becoming an auctioneer takes more than just a great bid call. Depending on which state you’ll be starting your auction career in, you may need a permit or license, insurance, or even ongoing education. This can seem a bit intimidating, but attending a licensed auction school will ensure you start out on the right foot.
About Licensed Auctioneer Schools
The auction industry is regulated on a state-by-state (and province-by-province) basis. Therefore, auction schools seek approval in a particular state or province by working in coordination with the licensing board in that state or province to assure that their training program meets all educational requirements.
The required length of time for auctioneers to train at an approved school varies due to differing regulations in each state and province. Auction schools that are approved by a majority of states and provinces are between 9 and 10 days in length, or between 85 and 92 credit hours.
At Western College of Auctioneering, our Entry Level Course is a 92 credit hour course. This course is 10 days in length.
What Will You Learn in Auctioneer School?
Ideally, an auctioneer school will cover all aspects of the auction business. You will, of course, learn to develop your chant, but you’ll also learn other valuable information that will set you up for success as an auctioneer.
Our entry-level auction course covers a wide range of skills:
- Specific auction types: Our instructors will teach you the pertaining laws and terminology for many common auction types – from fine art auctions to livestock auctions.
- Legal information: The course will help you become familiar with auction contracts, auctioneer licensing, and relevant laws.
- Technology: You’ll learn to use common software used for online auctions, clerking and more. We’ll also cover basic sound management for auction events.
- Real-world experience: You may choose to participate in several live auctions under the guidance of our world-class instructors, providing experience you simply cannot get in a classroom.
- Business coaching: Our entry level course includes classes on marketing and business ethics, and our business start up package includes headshot photos and a logo.
Interested in attending an auctioneer school? Please use the following resources to learn more about auction school and the auctioneering industry. Or, learn more about our Entry Level or our Advanced Level auctioneering courses.