Becoming an auctioneer can be a very rewarding and lucrative career. You can adapt it to fit your lifestyle, interests and way of life.
How To Become An Auctioneer:
- Attend auctions and observe how they are conducted. If possible, introduce yourself to the auctioneers and learn about them. Make sure to ask them questions.
- Research state or provincial licensing laws and find out the requirements to become an auctioneer in your state or province.
- Attend auction school. Auction school is a critical step in accelerating your auction career. At auction school you will learn industry best practices from leading auctioneers, business professionals and public speakers. When researching schools, find a school that will invest in your success as an auctioneer. A school that is taught by qualified instructors, offers a quality education, limits the class size so that students receive one-on-one time with each instructor and provides students with tools to start their auction business after graduation.
- Apply for your license by contacting your state or provincial licensing boards to obtain necessary licensing.
- Practice makes perfect both in your auction chant and your business practices.
- Join professional associations. Professional auctioneering organizations exist both on the state, provincial and national levels and are a great resource for education, networking and many other resources.
- Build a business plan. Your business plan does not need to be long and in-depth. It will provide you the opportunity to think about and document the direction you want your auction career to take.
- You are now an auctioneer! Enjoy the journey. Strive for excellence and professionalism in all that you do!